Thursday, November 29, 2012

C4K Summary for November and December

Children with computers
This week I had the pleasure of reading a wonderful blog post by an 8th grade student in Iowa named, Ayla B. I encourage you all to check out this particular blog post that I read of hers titled Novel. She is in the process of writing a really good novel without a name. It's 4 chapters long and it is really good! I can tell she is a fan of the Hunger Games series because I found a lot of similarities in her writing.
I left Ayla a comment letting her now how impressed I was with her writing! I asked where she found her inspiration to write this and if she had a name for the novel yet. I wished her luck with the rest of her writing and I encouraged to keep up the good work.

For this week, I was assigned to read Tyler Remez's blog, a 5th grade student out of Chicago. His blog post, titled October Reflections, was a summary of all of the activities Tyler's class did in the month of October. He talked about how his class wrote scary stories for Halloween. Tyler's was about a kid who got locked into a haunted pumpkin farm. Next he talked about a monster bash, which are science experiments that were related to Halloween as well. He then talked about their jammin-jobs they are assigned to every two weeks. He also talked about the Global Read Aloud group and how they read the book, The One and Only Ivan. The last thing Tyler talked about in his post was about tour stops. He explains that these are a lot like stations and that they do them 4 times a week.
I left Tyler a comment saying how the month of October sounded like a fun month for their class. I let him know that I thought the Monster bash sounded especially exciting. I asked if he created the little slideshow that was included at the end of his post because I enjoyed being able to see the things he did that he described in his post. I ended by saying that I hope the month of November is just as fun and exciting as the month of october was.

I as assigned a tenth grade english student at Baldwin County High from Ms. Martin's class. The students name was Mallory. Her blog post can be found here. Her post was comparing the bird in the poem, The Caged Bird, with the character, Melinda, in the movie Speak. She did an outstanding job with comparing the two. Mallory says how the bird is tied and screams for freedom can be compared with Melinda in high school begging for freedom from being bullied.
I left Mallory a comment saying how I enjoyed her comparison of the two and how I thought she did a good job. I also talked a little about bulling in high school and that if she sees a student being bullied to approach the student and show that someone cares.

1 comment:

  1. An 8th grader's novel. Wow. And a nkce essay from Baldwin County. We may be catching up. Ms. Martin is Jamie Lynn (star of Chipper series).

    ReplyDelete