Thursday, November 8, 2012

C4K Summary for Month of October

For this assignment I was assigned to an 11th grade US History Research Seminar Blog. This school is a private school located in Portland, Oregon instructed by Mike Gwaltney.
float for homecoming parade
The post that I commented on was about homecoming and the process of organizing it. These students rarely do homecoming activities because they are a private school. This year however, some students wanted to change that. Some students found volunteers to do a 3 minute choreographed dance, they took younger kids and put them into a group to do pep cheers, and they made three floats to parade around the school track. My comment to the young lady who wrote the blog talked about how we are in the process of homecoming at the University. I asked the student if they elected anyone for king and queen because our elections just closed today. I also commended them on putting together all of these homecoming activities with limited time and experience with homecoming.

The next week I was assigned to a 4th grade class at North Petherton Primary school in Somerset, UK. You can see there Class Blog here.
The post I commented on had audio clips of various students reading the story titled Taking The Cat's Way Home. This was the first time the class had done this and they seemed pretty excited. I listened to Shanice's version of the story. I commented on the blog praising Shanice and the rest of the class for their hard work in writing and reading these stories. I stated that I enjoyed how Shanice used different variations in voice level to help convey the message to the audience better.

This week I read a 2nd graders blog post from a school in Birmingham. The students name was Allie. She wrote a short post about zebras and what they looked like.
zebra+ Title=
I left a comment saying how zebras were fascinating. I asked if zebras were her favorite animal and if not, what her favorite animal is. I told her my favorite animal is a giraffe because they are so tall and they're awkward with their necks.

This week we were instructed a special assignment. We had to comment on the wonderful Dr. Paige Vitulli and Dr. Susan Santolli's blog Eyes on Ireland. These two lovely ladies are currently in Ireland attending the Ireland International Conference of Education. I was assigned a particular post about the keynote speakers they got to hear speak.
The post Keynote Speakers, talked about the three keynote speakers Dr. Vitulli and Dr, Santolli heard speak. One of them was Dr. Richard Cooper, director of disability services at Harcum College in Pennsylvania. He actually owns a firm called Learning disAbilities Resources, which produces and distributes educational and motivational materials for individuals with learning differences. The next keynote speaker was Professor Cynthia Northington-Purdie, a psychologist and professor at NJ University. The last keynote speaker they heard speak was Dr. Patricia Mannix McNamara who joined the Department of Education and Professional Studies in the University of Limerick in 1999, prior to which she was a post primary teacher of English, Religion and SPHE. One of her interests are in bullying and its impact on health and well being. Which is particular important in todays society.
I left a comment stating that by the descriptions of Dr. Richard Cooper, he most likely would have been my favorite keynote speaker. I said that I would have loved to hear more about his firm that he owns as well as well as experience in guidance counseling seeing as that is what I would like to get my masters in. I expressed to Dr. Viltulli and Dr. Santolli how jealous I was that I was not in Ireland getting the chance to hear these keynote speaker talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment